Seam Stripper: Food Cans
One of the most important parameters of the finished seam is the Wrinkle / Tightness rating. All 3-piece can makers and canneries are required to test the Wrinkle of at least one can per seaming head at least once per shift. The teardown process (removing the bodyhook for the Wrinkle rating) has several problems:
- The teardown often distorts or bends the coverhook so badly that any evaluation is incorrect
- Removing the coverhook by hand takes several minutes, and if you consider the amount of time required to do this for several can lines on every shift, the expenses are often in the thousands of dollars per month
- The manual teardown process is dangerous and over a long period of time can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and expose the plant to medical claims
- Existing automatic teardown systems are expensive and plants that make or fill multiple can sizes need a cutting head for each can diameter, making the price of similar systems prohibitive
Quality By Vision’s unique solution is to use a lathe-like design that can be easily adjusted to teardown ANY SIZE can in a matter of seconds. Chucks / spacers are supplied for each can size so that the Seam Stripper blades can be set in the right position. The Seam Stripper will never become obsolete or need replacement, since a new can size will require only a correct chuck / spacer set which can easily be manufactured at the plant’s machine shop or by Quality By Vision. Once the chucks are prepared, switching between can sizes takes seconds – click on the “Video” tab to the right to see how quick and easy this is.
The Seam Stripper works fast, and uses four high quality blades that remove the coverhook without distorting it and without requiring physical effort from the operator. The Seam Stripper is quiet and includes multiple safety features that prevent operators from using the machine incorrectly or injuring themselves.
All these features make the Seam Stripper is the perfect solution for any size Can plant or Cannery!
Several key features set the Seam Stripper aside from its competitors:
- Uses one set of blades for all can sizes – no additional cutting heads to buy or maintain!
- Switching between different can sizes requires replacing the spacer / chuck part only
- Two-button operation insures that operators stay safe during the teardown
- Clear visors protect the operators from can product
- Robust design, built of high quality parts (systems is NOT built around a bench drill)
- Provides undistorted, consistent samples for evaluation
- Samples can be evaluated using the naked eye or using SEAMetal HD
- Net weight: 120 Lbs
- Can capacity: 200-603 diameter
- Cutting time: About 3 seconds
- Blades: 4 x HSS
- Can height: 109-912 height
- Safety Features: Two-button operation, Visor, Emergency stop